Mulled Wine is the perfect winter warmer.
Here’s our favourite recipe.
Serves: 8-10 servings
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup rum
1/2 cup whole almonds
1 1/2 cups Churchill’s Reserve Port
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup Grand Marnier
1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
Zest of 2 oranges, cut in strips
10 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 bottles Churchill’s Estates Red
1. Combine raisins and rum in a small bowl. Let sit at room temperature for at least 2 hours. (Raisins can be prepared up to one week in advance. Cover and refrigerate until use.)
2. Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat until lightly browned. Cool slightly. Coarsely chop in large pieces. Reserve.
3. Combine port wine, orange juice, Cointreau, brown sugar, orange zest, cloves and cinnamon in a large pot with a lid. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered until reduced to 2 cups, 10-12 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low. Add red wine and warm through with the lid on the pot. Do not boil.
5. To serve, add a spoonful each of raisins with liqueur and almonds to glasses or mugs. Strain mulled wine into glasses. Garnish with fresh orange slices.